SCLA Inclement Weather Policy
As an organization, the safety of your child and your family is of the utmost importance. SCLA is also aware of the logistical challenges busy Southlake families face in getting their children to and from practices and games. If there is inclement weather, SCLA will do its best to determine whether Practices and Games may be held and will act to quickly and effectively communicate that information to you.
SCLA uses facilities provided by Carroll ISD and the City of Southlake Parks and Recreation Department. Carroll ISD and the City have discretion to close any facility. SCLA may not be notified of a facility closure until as late as 3PM M-F.
- SCLA follows the lead of Carroll ISD. If Carroll ISD cancels all after-school activities due to inclement weather, SCLA will do the same.
High School (Varsity and Junior Varsity)
- Players and families will be notified by the Head Coach or High School Athletic Director regarding the cancellation/rescheduling/relocation of Practices and Games.
- The Head Coach may make alternative arrangements for Practices and Games.
- All Players are expected to monitor SCLA communications closely if inclement weather is possible. Typically, the Head Coach will post first to player Group Me chat, then parent Group Me chat, then email, then Twitter.
Youth and Middle School (K-8)
Inclement Weather Policy
- In the event Carroll ISD cancels school or afterschool activities due to inclement weather, Practices and Games will be cancelled.
- If there is active lightning in the area at the time Practice begins, Practice will be cancelled.
- Decisions regarding Youth Practices and Games will be made no later than 3:30 PM M-F based on facility availability and safety. Decisions regarding Weekend Youth Practices and Games will be made as soon as practical. Families will be notified as soon a decision is made.
- If there is the possibility of lightning during practice, SCLA expects all parents to monitor their texts and email in the event practice cannot be completed.
- In the event there is a facilities closure, Practices or Games may be moved or cancelled. Coaches have discretion to make alternative arrangements for Practice or Games as an alternative to cancellation due to inclement weather or a facilities closure.
SCLA INTERNAL WEATHER GUIDELINES
FOR DIRECTORS AND COACHES
Cold Weather Policy
Consider cancelling practice or making alternative arrangements:
- If, at the start of practice, the wind chill is 45 or below and there is precipitation.
- If, at the start of practice, the wind chill is 38 or below, regardless of precipitation.
- Coaches always have discretion to make alternative indoor arrangements for Practice as an alternative to cancellation due to cold weather.
*CISD Athletic Department Guidelines for Middle School that in temperatures outlined above, outdoor activity should be limited to 45 minutes and then no less than 15 minutes indoors before returning outside.
*There are no CISD Guidelines for Elementary School, but recess is indoors if the wind chill is 36 or below. Keep in mind that recess is less than a half hour.
Hot Weather Policy
- Precautions will be taken in the event the heat index exceeds 100 degrees.